Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Ediz Hook, "The Spit"

Saturday was a quiet day where we didn't have anything planned, so we asked what the kids wanted to do and they all had different ideas but they all got to do what they wanted. Lizzy is into collecting rocks right now. She wanted to go to the spit and collect more rocks. Henry wanted to go on another bike ride and Thomas wanted to go hiking. Lizzy and I took the car down to the end of the spit while the boys rode their bikes and we met up 45 minutes later.
The tide was coming in while we were there. The kids explored the shore about 1 1/2 hours. I give Lizzy a bag and said she could collect as many rocks as she could carry. Thomas and Henry are always stuffing rocks in their coats and pants. Their rocks get tumble dried quite a bit.



During that 1 1/2 hours of searching we were able to see a seal swimming around, and lots of birds. We saw Osprey. They are huge and there were probably 4 or 5 of them hanging out at the spit. I think they are bigger then a bald eagle. I saw a black bird with neon orange beak. I think they are called a Black Oystercatcher. I have never seen one before. There were two and they were beautiful. We saw a Golden Eagle or an young Bald Eagle (wasn't quite sure, Thomas and I had different options). Anyway, there were a ton of birds. It was fun to sit and watch them. I am usually not into birds but Saturday was a bird day for me.



The boys traveling home. Of-course Lizzy and I won the contest and bet them home.



Later that day, Thomas wanted to climb up Mount Storm King again. Since Henry didn't want to go and Lizzy wasn't invited, I stayed home with the other two and went shopping for food. Chris told me after the hike that he had to tell Thomas to "slow down." Chris couldn't keep up with Thomas. Thomas was too fast. WOW!!!! They hiked to the top in 1 hour and 20 minutes. That is pretty good!!!!




1 comment:

smithfieldman said...

Great hiking guys. That's impressive. It looks so nice there ...